2001, this historic doctor's office building was donated to Historic Port
Royal, Inc. by Mrs. Ned Stehl. The Caroline County Board of
Supervisors, at their January 9, 2001 meeting approved the request from
Historic Port Royal for funding in the amount of $20,000 to help with the
cost of restoration. The restoration will result in a Visitor
Center/Museum to greet visitors into the Town as well as Caroline County
along the U.S. Route 301 corridor. The Visitor Center will also have
a medical museum with historic implements, many donated that were used
during the timeframe the doctors were in practice. The Center will be
located on the Town Green of Port Royal.
History of the Doctor's Office
Dr. John James Garvatt (1817-1886) erected the structure on Lot 17 as his
medical office in the late 1840s, (Ralph Fall's Hidden Village says
"erected about 1850").
Dr. Charels Urquhart Gravatt (1848-1922), son of Fr. John James Gravatt
continued to use this structure for his office in 1909 and after.
Dr. Robert Green Holloway (1835-1919) and his son, Dr. Joseph Minor
Holloway (1889-1975) practiced medicine in the Port Royal area for 50 years.
It is thought that they practiced in the Dally House on King St. "Dr.
Joe" encouraged Dr. Harris to come to Port Royal when he moved to
Fredericksburg in 1924.
Dr. Rogers Harris rented the office building in 1934. He continued
to rent it until he purchased it at public auction in 1977. He retired
in 1980 and the building was unoccupied until it was dismantled and moved
piece by piece to the Town Green in the Spring of 2001. (Mrs. Ned
Stehl donated the building to Historic Port Royal, Inc.)
Update February 2006
The stop work order has been
lifted and work will resume in Spring 2006.
Update April 2004
The relocated Doctor's Office is now about 80% complete and is awaiting
approval from the current town administration for the final phase of
construction. The HVAC system, flooring and some detail work are all
that are necessary for completion. HPR hopes to have the building
completely finished and operating by the fall of 2004.